Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Craft Book Sew-Along Kick Off! January Link-Up

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you are as excited as I am to start this Sew-Along!

For my first project I chose the Prettified Pincushion from Patchwork Please!

Patchwork Please! is a sewing book with projects ranging from aprons to quilts to coasters and tea cozies. I have been following the author, Ayumi Takahashi's blog for a while and love her style. Some of my favorite projects from the book are the following projects:

Polka-Dot Cafe Apron


My Scrappy Box


and the Sweet Trips Embroidery Pouch


For the Prettified Pincushion I used my hoarded Central Park scraps and Osnaburg muslin. I love the Osnaburg, it has a look of linen, but is so much cheaper! It does feel like it has a looser weave, but it is also so soft. You can find it at Joann's, it is with the muslin fabrics at my store.



I did find that the size of scraps the author has you cut for the patchwork top were a little too small for my comfort, and I am going to add at least 1/4 of an inch to each measurement for my next pincushion, and go with a larger button, maybe an inch next time. Yes, I did say next pincushion, this project comes together so quickly, I am definitely making myself at least one more! Do note that the author has you construct the pincushion using inset, or Y-seams. They may not be necessary, but I have never had more perfect corners, and this was my first attempt at Y-seams! They were a lot easier than I imagined.

You can find more projects from Patchwork Please! from a recent sew-along hosted by A Quilter's Table and LRStitched. You can see all the sew-along projects in their Flickr group.

This month, Stitch Craft Create has generously donated a copy of Patchwork Please! to one lucky participant. To be eligible to win you have all month to make a project from one of your craft books and link it up at the end of this post. You can use any craft book of your choice, this is not only open to sewists or quilters, feel free to link up your crocheted, knitted, or any other crafty project you make.

Giveaway Rules:

  • Make a project from a craft book and either write a blog post or post a picture of your project on Flickr. Then link your project to the link party at the end of this post. You can enter up to two different projects, just make sure to link them separately. If you are not sure how to link up a project, you can check out this tutorial I found from Bargain Hoot.
  • If you are making quilt blocks (or scrapbook pages) pleas make enough blocks/pages to fill a 12x24 inch space. 
  • This is open to everyone, but I am going to ask international participants to pay for shipping on the prize if they win. 
  • The link party will be open until 11:59 PM Central January 31st. 
  • You can read more find more information about the Sew-Along on this post

Thank you so much to Stitch Craft Create for sponsoring this month's prize. You can find many free sewing and knitting related projects on their Stitch Craft Create Ideas blog.

Please feel free to share this Sew-Along, grab the button below and be sure to join the Craft Book Sew-Along Flickr group!


Craft Book Sew Along at Live. Love. Create.




3 comments

January 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Fun! now the hard part, what to make!

January 29, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Looks fun .. Can we link up from the craft magazines as well :D .. Nice pin cushion. well The book looks good .. But the projects look like they are for the very beginners.. Have a nice day..- Diya TheHobbyHarbor

January 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I had fun visiting everyone...I love your pincushion! Thanks for hosting.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to send me a comment. They always make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...