Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Announcing the 2014 Craft Book Sew Along!



I am so excited to announce a HUGE Sew-Along I have in the works for the entire year next year! A Craft Book Sew-Along!


I am sure many of you are like me, and have all these beautiful, inspiring craft books in your library that you rarely use. The stack I posted above sadly is not even half of my collection. The rest of my books are stashed away in my craft cabinet, hoping to someday see the light. (And the following picture doesn't include my scrapbook books, which would probably take up another shelf in my cabinet).


So over the next year I am going to challenge myself, AND YOU to make at least one project from your craft book stash. And I am just calling it a Sew Along, for a lack of a better title, it doesn't matter if you sew, quilt, crochet, or knit, this is for all craft enthusiasts! 

DETAILS

Every first of the month I will post my project and a book review on my blog and open a link party for you to join in. You will have the entire month to make something to share, either in a blog post or link back to your Flickr account. Then at the end of the month all of the projects that were linked up will be entered into a giveaway! EVERY MONTH!

I am opening this to ANY craft books, whether you sew, crochet, knit or scrapbook, get those books out and use them! And to make it a little more fair, I am adding a small stipulation... if you are scrapbooking or using a book to make quilt blocks, you must make enough projects to cover a 12 inch by 24 inch square. So basically two scrapbook 12x12 inch pages or two 12x12 inch quilt blocks or the equivalent. That makes it a little more fair if someone finishes an entire quilt top versus someone who is working on one quilt block. Sounds easy right?

PRIZES

I have been in contact with the wonderful people at Stitch Craft Create and Interweave to giveaway at least one craft book a month. I will announce which book or books I will be giving away in my blog post for the month, and posting a small book review when I reveal the winner of the book.



For those of you who may not own a lot of craft books, you should check out your local library. I am lucky enough to be close to two library systems, both of which are communities of libraries that you can borrow from. 

And it's not too late to grab a few books that you have been eyeing before the Sew-Along starts. Stitch Craft Create has a huge assortment of craft books, and they ship internationally. You can check out the Stitch Craft Create Idea site for project ideas if you don't know where to start!

I hope you are as excited as I am about this Sew/Knit/Crochet/Craft Along. Feel free to join the Sew Along Flickr group for more fun.

 I would appreciate it if you share, share, share this news! You can grab my Sew-Along button here.

Craft Book Sew Along at Live. Love. Create.



I hope to see many of you in 2014! Be on the lookout for my first Sew Along post in a few weeks!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

17 comments

December 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Cool idea. I know I'll be getting more craft books for christmas so this will get me using them a lot faster than I normally do.

December 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM

This is a great idea-I love buying quilting books, but rarely use them!! And not to mention magazines too. I think I will have to try and keep up with this...I used to get a scrapbook kit every month and there would be challenges to do-and I would get a ton of scrapbooking done. Now, I never do it! Maybe this is just what I need-a schedule with a monthly due date!

December 18, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Good for you!! That's so exciting. :)

December 18, 2013 at 3:50 AM

I'm in, I put your button up on my blog.

December 18, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Sounds like fun. I use my books frequently for patterns, ideas and inspiration. I LOVE pouring over them.

December 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Aww this is so much fun. I have a Sew Book Inspired series on my blog. Where I write in detail all my adventures with books containing sewing projects. I would love to be a apart of this :) Do visit my Sew book inspired when you find time :)

December 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM

This sounds great. My mother in law just gave me a box of craft books and it will be fun looking for projects to do.

December 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM

What a great idea! I want to sew/craft along with you guys! How do I actually participate? If you can't tell I haven't done this kind of thing before. I usually keep my projects to my self and close family but my New Years resolution is to be less criticle of myself and others so why not be proud and share my creations with you guys!

December 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

@whatscrafting
I tried to reply to your question through email, but you don't have an email address linked to your account. So hopefully you come back and see this reply! What you have to do to participate is make something from a craft book (sewing, quilting, knitting, crochet, or even scrapbooking...) and link it to my January post (which will be up on January 1st). The only stipulation I have so far is if you make quilt blocks or scrapbook pages you have to make enough to cover a 12 inch x 24 inch rectangle. In order to link up with the Sew-Along you can either post to your blog if you have one and link the blog address or post your picture to a Flickr account. Both options are free to create, just email me or search google if you don't know how to create a blog or Flickr account. I hope you get this message and hopefully it helps!

December 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM

This is great idea! I have a few craft books which have been hidden somewhere in my room. This sew along motivates me to dig it out...Thanks for having this party. I will follow along.

January 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I certainly did share:

http://thecraftersapprentice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/upcoming-in-2014.html

I'll be linking up before the end of the month!

January 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I was looking for an excuse to use my craft books. I've only got a few days to create something for January, so I'd better log off and get crafting! Thanks for hosting!

I shared on my sidebar at www.yarnigras.blogspot.com

February 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I just found out about your sew along from Val at yarni gras. My husband and I are both from St. Louis and I have a million sewing books, can I still join your sew along, please, please, please!!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to send me a comment. They always make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...