Sunday, June 30, 2013

Goodbye Google, hello Bloglovin' and The Old Reader

I just wanted to post and let you know I am still alive. As I was reorganizing my blogs today I saw quite a few posts reminding people that Google Reader (GR) is gone tomorrow. While I am still not 100% happy with Bloglovin's (BL) app, I think I may have finally found a solution I can live with... maybe.

So as far as following my blog, I did sign up with Bloglovin' and finally added a button to the right hand column over there ------>

But what I really hated about BL is I had all of my blogs organized in folders for Google Reader and used an app called Feeddler on my iPad and iPhone to read my blogs. You can organize your blogs online with Bloglovin', but their app doesn't show the categories you organize your blogs into, or at least I can't figure out how to see them. Big negative for me! I have hobby ADD, and I fluctuate frequently from quilts to clothes to scrapbooks to cards. I organized my 700+ blogs I follow according to my interests, and I admit I focus mainly on my Modern Quilting folder. I was not happy when I couldn't easily filter out the other crafty blogs from my Modern Quilts. So sorry to those of you who focus on crafts for kids, I may still read you, but not quite as often as my quilty idols.

So finally today when I was about to delete Feeddler, it came up with a pop-up suggesting me to find another RSS reader, with The Old Reader (TOR) as one of the free options. I had to export my Google Reader file (get on that people! the clock's ticking!) and then upload it to The Old Reader, but guess what -- ALL OF MY ORGANIZED FOLDERS CAME TOO! I was jumping for joy when I could navigate easily through my quilts, kids' clothes, crafts, and scrapbook blogs.

I just haven't found a simple solution to my beloved "Subscribe" button that Google Reader had, where you add the button to your bookmarks bar on your browser and whenever you find a blog you like, click the link and it took you to GR to add the blog to your list. I think right now I will have to subscribe through Bloglovin' and see if that updates to my The Old Reader. If not, I may have to manually add the blog to TOR too.

But at least for now I will go to bed tonight, happily snuggled up with my tablet and finally getting back up-to-date with my blogs.

5 comments

June 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I have been using The Old Reader exclusively for about a week now (was trying out many options before) and I continue to be very happy with it. There is life after Google after all!

June 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Ended up with Feedly and it's like lost in space. I know it will take time. . .

July 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I really like Feedly. It transferred everything over and after a week or so I was used to it. Now I like it better than GR!

July 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I really like silverreader.com I have tried most of alternatives but SilverReader is fastest.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to send me a comment. They always make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...