Thursday, May 16, 2013

Another Round of Catch up!

I've been meaning to post all the projects I have been working on, but I don't know where the time goes on most days! It's been one of those months where I have to double check the calendar to see what day of the week it is!

The boys turned four the beginning of May, and we decided to have the family over to the house this year instead of hosting the party at the local park. Weather wise it was a great decision, but it also meant I had to turbo clean the entire house since my family is in Wisconsin and would be spending a few days with us. One of the main things that NEEDED to get done was washing the kitchen floor. I found a wonderful recipe for an all natural cleaner on Pinterest and tested it out. In the picture below I had about a quarter circle of the front left portion of floor washed. It's hard to tell because our floor is so dark, but it was the best cleaner I have ever used. Our grout is amazingly clean, but I did also hand scrub the entire floor. 


Recipe? 6 cups water, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, 1/2 cup baking soda. Since it is all natural, just make it up as you need it.

Plus it makes a fun science experiment for your kids to watch when you add either the lemon juice or vinegar (acids) to the baking soda (base).

For the boys' birthday I also decided to make little Miss H a dress. I practiced with the Geranium dress pattern by Made by Rae first in some flower fabric. That dress is posted here. Then I decided it was time to use the ruffle fabric I have been hoarding since before H was born. Pair that with a vintage sheet, and this adorable dress was what H wore to the party. 




I'm not going to lie. The ruffle fabric is not easy to work with. It's thin and my new Janome just didn't want to sew with it at all and kept skipping stitches. Plus it is so thin and stretchy! But I powered through and the dress is definitely my favorite dress I have ever made. 

And last but not least on my kids' clothes spree is some shorts for the boys. This time I used the Boy's Shorts pattern from Sew Sweet Patterns. I am still waiting to hear from them on their measurements because the shorts initially came out HUGE on the boys. The elastic in the waist wasn't even close to stretching even. But at least that is better than it being too small, I just took the elastic in and that worked OK. And of course after I finish both pairs and I am pretty happy with how they turned out, one of the boys refused to wear them because it was too cold. Well hopefully they will get more use this summer. 


As far as quilting, we just finished our room by room swap through my guild. Everyone who wanted to participate got a secret partner who gave their partner a room they wanted something handmade for, and a color scheme. My partner wanted something for the living room that was dark purple and dark grey. I definitely didn't have a lot of either color in my stash, but this is what I ended up with. 


I used Let's Eat Grandpa's Bloomin' QAYG tutorial and a whole lot of thread! This little pillow used three full bobbins of thread! But it was a fun experience and I love the end result. I got some awesome sewing room organizer hoops in return. 


And finally I cut into my hoarded vintage sheet FQ collection. I am making a basic patchwork quilt for my husband's friend's first baby. I decided to not use the orange "V" line prints below. These are 5.5 inch squares which should make a 45 inch square quilt.


I need to finish that up ASAP because the baby is due any day now. Between this quilt and getting to know my new serger (early birthday present for me!) I will be busy for a while. Thanks for enduring the long catch up post. I am playing with some FMQ tools for the next Terrific Tool Tuesday! I hope to have that post up next week. 

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to send me a comment. They always make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...