Monday, January 28, 2013

Ocean Waves

I was able to finish up my Madrona Road challenge for the MQG this past weekend. If you follow me on Instagram I have been giving little previews along the way, but here is the completely finished quilt! I actually wasn't expecting sun today, but it turned out to be a gorgeous, although soggy, day. So we had to run to the park this afternoon for some playtime and an impromptu quilty photo shoot.


Note my little helper in the first picture. I wanted to make sure I got a straight on shot of this quilt so I had to enlist some help from my buddy. I can't believe my little guys will be four in a few months and starting preschool in the fall! My days of staying home are coming to an end... :(






I am calling her "Ocean Waves" because it just seems fitting, and much better than "Caterpillars" that my husband suggested.

I raw edge appliqued the circles about 1/8 inch from the edge so I would get a little fraying to add a little extra punch to the design. It is quilted with Aurifil 2024 NE 50. I decided to not go crazy on the quilting because I didn't want it to draw away from the design. I quilted over my appliqued circles again and just extended the wavy scallops across the quilt to finish the quilting. This gal finishes at 30 inches square and will be a wall hanging in our Master Bedroom... whenever we are finished with it (it is getting so close to being done, after almost 10 years!).

I will be linking up with Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story, Sew Cute Tuesday at Better Off Thread and TGIFF at Quokka Quilts. Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments

January 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Hi Kelly...
A really nice creation! You should be proud! ♥

January 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Kelly, you created an inspired design and the quilting is a perfect compliment to the project overall. Well done, friend!

January 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Well done. Love your quilting design as well as your block selection/layout.

January 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM

This turned out lovely, Kelly! I really love how you quilted it. Can't wait to see it at the Feb. meeting! :)

January 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Congratulations on having your quilt featured on the Modern Quilt Guild blog! It's in the latest post on the Madrona Road Challenge! http://themodernquiltguild.com/2013/01/29/nearing-the-finish-of-the-michael-millermadrona-road-challenge/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

January 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Very neat pattern -- Love the quilting too!

January 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Beautiful design! I like how the waves continue on in the quilting!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to send me a comment. They always make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...