Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Meet Mac!

I have been on the lookout for a backup sewing machine for a little while now since if anything ever happened to my Pfaff I would be out of sewing for at least a week, if not more if they had to order replacement parts. So I have been checking Craigslist daily for sewing machines and sending off hopeful emails when I find one that looks promising, only to never hear back from the seller. So when I saw an ad for a Fleetwood sewing machine pop up again yesterday (I initially saw it a few weeks ago, but it was an old link and I figured it was gone) I jumped on it. 

I packed all the kids in the car and made the 40 minute journey to the shop that was advertising the machine... and I walked out $20 poorer and 40+ lbs heavier (seriously she weighs more than my kids!).

This is Mac, names because that's all I could come up with once I saw "Fleetwood."



I didn't get to test her at the shop, I just took the guy's word when he said she worked. It was hard enough to get out of the store carrying Miss H without the boys breaking one (or many) of the glass dinnerware pieces scattered throughout the place, I just didn't get a chance to sit down and power her up while I was there. But as soon as I got home I hooked her up and threaded her and so far she seems to be going great. Although I am pretty sure I do not have her threaded completely right, but that should be easy enough to correct and learn.

                                             

















From what I read the Fleetwood is a Singer 15 Clone from around the WWII era. This one says made in Japan right on the front, but it is almost exactly the same style as a Singer 15. I am still working on going through the old Singer manual to read more about this machine, because unfortunately although it came with extra bobbins, a paintbrush, and toothbrush - she didn't come with a manual. She does have a "embroidery" setting which allows you to control the movement of the fabric through the machine. I wonder how she would handle free motion quilting? I doubt she will get much use, but I will have fun getting to know her and definitely will use her when my Pfaff is in for her cleaning.

Mac came with a case too, but for obvious reasons I will not be carting her around too much, I may throw out my back if I attempt to move her again!

I did get some sewing in too this week, my Madrona Road quilt is pieced and quilted. The picture below is just a little different than what I ended up finishing with.


Instead of two sashing pieces between the three "caterpillars" (my husband's term) I went with five narrower sashes, and added one to the top and bottom too. Hopefully I will get the binding attached tonight and sit in for some hand-sewing time later in the week. By the way piecing those appliqued circles was a *&%*#! There were 16 layers to sew through where the seams met. But it will all be worth it when I wash it and I get the raw edges to fray just a little, hopefully adding just a little more punch to the design.  

I am linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced! Thanks for stopping in!

7 comments

January 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Hi, Mac, nice to meet you! Looking forward to seeing your finished Madrona Road ... :) Pat

January 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Terrific curves on your Madrona. Congrats on the new addition Mac.

January 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Mac is VERY sleek looking (and great name!). Can't wait to see the finished caterpillars! :)

January 24, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I like your Mac,she reminds me of my Grandma' s machine. Beautiful quilt.

January 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM

It looks like it's in great condition! Enjoy!

December 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

What a nice find! She's beautiful.
I just found on that I'm thinking of buying. Do you think it could sew through suede?

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to send me a comment. They always make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...