I packed all the kids in the car and made the 40 minute journey to the shop that was advertising the machine... and I walked out $20 poorer and 40+ lbs heavier (seriously she weighs more than my kids!).
This is Mac, names because that's all I could come up with once I saw "Fleetwood."
I didn't get to test her at the shop, I just took the guy's word when he said she worked. It was hard enough to get out of the store carrying Miss H without the boys breaking one (or many) of the glass dinnerware pieces scattered throughout the place, I just didn't get a chance to sit down and power her up while I was there. But as soon as I got home I hooked her up and threaded her and so far she seems to be going great. Although I am pretty sure I do not have her threaded completely right, but that should be easy enough to correct and learn.
From what I read the Fleetwood is a Singer 15 Clone from around the WWII era. This one says made in Japan right on the front, but it is almost exactly the same style as a Singer 15. I am still working on going through the old Singer manual to read more about this machine, because unfortunately although it came with extra bobbins, a paintbrush, and toothbrush - she didn't come with a manual. She does have a "embroidery" setting which allows you to control the movement of the fabric through the machine. I wonder how she would handle free motion quilting? I doubt she will get much use, but I will have fun getting to know her and definitely will use her when my Pfaff is in for her cleaning.
Mac came with a case too, but for obvious reasons I will not be carting her around too much, I may throw out my back if I attempt to move her again!
I did get some sewing in too this week, my Madrona Road quilt is pieced and quilted. The picture below is just a little different than what I ended up finishing with.
Instead of two sashing pieces between the three "caterpillars" (my husband's term) I went with five narrower sashes, and added one to the top and bottom too. Hopefully I will get the binding attached tonight and sit in for some hand-sewing time later in the week. By the way piecing those appliqued circles was a *&%*#! There were 16 layers to sew through where the seams met. But it will all be worth it when I wash it and I get the raw edges to fray just a little, hopefully adding just a little more punch to the design.
I am linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced! Thanks for stopping in!